TV & Radio broadcasting
Relations in the area of providing TV & radio broadcasting and multichannel distribution services shall be regulated by “General terms and requirements for TV & Radio broadcasting regulation” (2011).
TV & Radio broadcasting service providers
- Public radio & TV (National broadcaster)
- “Public broadcasting TV” refers to the non-profit TV service provider, that was established in accordance with the Law on National Radio & TV, and the relations regarding with National Radio & TV, which is Mongolian National Broadcaster shall be regulated by the Law on National Radio & TV.
- Commercial Radio & Television” means profit based Radio & Television services
- TV broadcasting service provider
- Radio broadcasting service provider
- Cable channel service provider
According to the terms and requirements of the regulation:
- TV & Radio broadcasting service provider shall have tv & radio service license and radio frequency licenses.
- Cable channel service provider shall have cable channel service license.
- TV & Radio broadcasting service providers are required to comply with the terms and requirements of TV broadcasting service license and terms and requirements of the radio broadcasting service license respectively.
- Cable channel service providers are required to comply with the terms and requirements of Cable channel service license.
- TV, Radio broadcasting and cable channel license holders shall comply with international standards and requirements of relevant Mongolian standards for preparing, transmitting and broadcasting their programs.
- TV, radio and cable channel studios, equipments and their technologies should meet requirements of all relevant standards.
- Ownership information of TV, Radio and cable channel license holders should be publicly disclosed in order to ensure that broadcasting is independent, transparent and having with ethics.
- Requirements for program contents:
- TV, radio or cable channel shall fulfill their obligations for edutainment purpose and to promote public interest for their programs
- TV, radio or cable channel shall ensure their programs comply with relevant laws and legislations of Mongolia, International Treaties and Conventions which Mongolia has entered into and this general terms and requirements, and be accountable for their programs.
- It’s prohibited to produce and/or broadcast program or advertisement, which violate the relevant laws of Mongolia.
Other requirements for program contents:
- Mongolian /National content should be broadcasted 50 % of the total weekly broadcasting hours
- For TV advertisement limit per hour shall not exceed 15 min, for FM radios 18 min per hour;
- Broadcast SMS and chats advertisements are prohibited
- Not to use Premium rate telephone numbers for competitive program such as gambling or movie selection etc
- Using Premium rate telephone numbers is acceptable for voting or research purposes only, given that pre-stated number, code and symbols are screened.
- Use age-classification symbols and markings on movies and programs;
- Not to broadcast closed captioned commercials or banner type advertisement on screen except the advertisement time
- “closed captioned” or “text” news and information shall be broadcasted during news and information program only according to standards;
- Not to broadcast programs and movies for children and teenagers after 10:00PM
- Not to broadcast adult-only movies, programs and videos during day-time.